The Invisible Threat: Carbon Monoxide and Furnaces

At Energy Clean, we’re dedicated to maintaining a safe and comfortable environment within your homes. As we celebrate our commitment to top-notch HVAC services, we also feel responsible for ensuring your awareness of potential dangers lurking within your heating systems.

Today, let’s delve into the silent menace of carbon monoxide (CO) and its association with furnaces. Carbon monoxide, often called the “invisible killer,” is an odourless, colourless gas produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-based fuels, such as natural gas, oil, coal, and wood. Furnaces, commonly used for heating homes, can be a source of CO if not properly maintained.

The risk of CO poisoning from furnaces arises primarily due to:

  1. Inadequate Ventilation: Improperly vented or blocked flues and chimneys can cause CO to accumulate indoors.
  2. Malfunctioning Equipment: Older or poorly maintained furnaces may develop cracks or leaks, releasing CO into your living spaces.
  3. Lack of Maintenance: Regular servicing and inspections are crucial to ensure your furnace operates efficiently and safely.

The concerning aspect of CO is its stealthy nature. Without a carbon monoxide detector, detecting its presence is virtually impossible, as it has no taste, smell, or colour. Exposure to elevated levels of CO can lead to symptoms ranging from headaches, dizziness, and nausea to more severe cases of unconsciousness and even death.

To safeguard your household against this hidden danger, Energy Clean recommends taking the following precautionary measures:

  1. Install Carbon Monoxide Detectors: Place detectors near sleeping areas and on every level of your home. Regularly test and replace batteries to ensure functionality.
  2. Schedule Regular Furnace Inspections: Our professional technicians can inspect your furnace, identify potential issues and ensure it operates safely and efficiently.
  3. Ensure Proper Ventilation: Keep vents and chimneys clear of debris and obstructions to allow for the proper release of combustion gases.

In the event that your carbon monoxide alarm goes off:

  1. Evacuate Immediately: If the alarm sounds, evacuate all occupants from the house and call emergency services.
  2. Do Not Re-enter: Do not re-enter the premises until emergency services or a qualified professional has determined it is safe to do so.
  3. Contact Us: After ensuring everyone’s safety, contact Energy Clean for immediate assistance in inspecting and rectifying any potential issues with your furnace or ventilation system.

Your family’s safety is our top priority at Energy Clean. We urge you to prioritize regular maintenance and awareness to prevent CO-related incidents.

For any furnace maintenance, inspection, or concerns regarding carbon monoxide, don’t hesitate to contact us. Our expert team is ready to assist you in ensuring your HVAC systems operate at their best while keeping your home safe.

Share This Post


Scott Tizzard

President & Founder

Since 2013 I have been helping Canadians by providing the best in class heating and cooling solutions for their homes and businesses. I am hands on with my business and take pride in our work and craftsmanship. We look forward to taking care of your needs. Feel free to contact me directly.